Wednesday, May 31, 2006

*You can't see me*

Our county has been having power issues. The last few nights, and during the day too, the power has been going out. For HOURS. I guess I'm just spoiled.

Monday night, we were sitting down for devotions, and suddenly darkness and silence descend. We wait a minute, expecting it to come back on, but it doesn't, so we scurry around looking for flashlights. We have a HUGE one, that lights up the room for about fifteen minutes, then starts to dim. My dad says to Jackson, "Plug it into the wall so it can recharge." We kindly remind him that the power is out. We perservere, and continue reading with smaller lights. But come nine o'clock, we give up and go upstairs.

Alas. It is Ninety degrees plus humidity, and without the fans, the loft is unbearble. I move downstairs and sleep in the hammock, wishing it were still light so I could put up a tent and sleep outside. After exchanging texts with friends in the area, I learn that not only is it out all over town, but apparently it's out all the way up to the mall, some 10 or 15 miles north. Shocking.

The power comes back on, and turns off again, and then I give up and go to sleep. A couple hours later, I wake up, the power is on once again, and I move up to the loft to my bed that doesnt give me a crick in my neck.

Tuesday. Hot as blazes. Humid as the Amazon. We decide that even with fans, the loft will be too hot and put up the tent. Good for us, 8:40 rolls around and the lights are out again. This time, they stay out till 12:15. Crystal texts me that she's doing her homework by candlelight, and we wonder if the power stays out if she'll have school in the morning.

We turn in, the boys have put up a tent across the yard from ours, and are sleeping there, except for hayden, who sets himself up on the picnic table. It's so humid, you don't want to touch anything, and the tent is on a hill so I keep rolling into Anastasia. By 10:30, it's cooled off enough that you don't sweat where you lie, not moving, and by midnight, it's cool enough to cover up with a sheet. I get up to go get a drink and as I stumbled around looking for my shoes, the lights come back on. I go in, turn off all the lights that have been left on, get a drink and go out to the tent and to sleep.

Every one was up by eight, and by nine, I'd dyed my hair back to brown. I wanted to do it last night, but it was so HOT the thought of it made me sweat. Hopefully I won't have to dye it again. I think I'm through with that.

ON an off note, my uncle went rug shopping with the first lady. :-P

6 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Marguerite said...

You lucky duck. Maybe it doesn't get humid because it rains alllll the time.

And, I meant Mrs. George W. Bush.

 
At 12:17 AM, June 04, 2006, Blogger Marguerite said...

Lol. Thanks man, I appreciate it. But I don't think anyone else actually reads it. YOU'RE MY HERO!! :-P

 
At 10:53 PM, June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, rug shopping! That's a very random thing to do with the First Lady. :)

It's very humid here today. Infact it's going to rain soon I think. The storm clouds are building overhead.

Gosh, I hope your power issues gets straightened out soon- doesn't sound like much fun.

 
At 8:40 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Marguerite said...

OUr power is fine now. :D thanks for the beaver. :)

Shopping for rugs, period, is pretty cool. There are whole rooms of persian rugs folded up, floor to ceiling, and on the floor, to sit on. It's insane.

 
At 10:25 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Marguerite said...

Spacevah Marlow. :)

 
At 8:54 AM, June 08, 2006, Blogger Marguerite said...

Spacevah= thank you. In russian, the language of rugs shopping. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home